The National Hockey League (NHL) features a diverse range of teams, each with its own fan base and level of popularity. When it comes to television viewership, certain teams have emerged as frontrunners, capturing the attention of a large and devoted audience. These teams have built a strong following, both locally and globally, and their games consistently draw in significant viewership numbers.
One of the NHL’s most renowned and popular teams is the Montreal Canadiens. The Montreal Canadiens have a rich history that dates back over a hundred years. This and all their trophies make them one of the most successful and respected teams in the NHL. The team’s extensive fan base, which stretches across Canada and beyond, eagerly tunes in to watch their games.
The Canadiens’ rich history, marked by a record 24 Stanley Cup championships, has generated immense loyalty and interest from fans. As a result, their games regularly attract substantial television audiences, making them one of the NHL’s most-watched teams.
In the United States, the Chicago Blackhawks have enjoyed tremendous success and a dedicated fan base. The team’s recent accomplishments, including three Stanley Cup victories within a six-year span, have significantly boosted their popularity. The Blackhawks’ exciting style of play has captivated audiences. The presence of star players like Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane has further contributed to their consistently high television viewership.
The Blackhawks’ strong presence in the Chicago market, coupled with their on-ice success, has made them one of the most-watched NHL teams in the United States.
Detroit Red Wings
Another team that consistently draws a large television audience is the Detroit Red Wings. Known for their passionate fan base and illustrious history, the Red Wings have cultivated a strong following over the years. The team’s dominance in the 1990s and 2000s, highlighted by multiple Stanley Cup victories, cemented their status as one of the NHL’s most successful franchises.
Even during periods of rebuilding, the Red Wings maintain a loyal fan base that tunes in to support their beloved team. Their games consistently generate significant television viewership, making them a key attraction for NHL broadcasts.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have also established themselves as a major draw for television audiences. Led by superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgenii Malkin, the Penguins have experienced sustained success, winning multiple Stanley Cups in recent years. The team’s style of play and star power have contributed to their popularity both in Pittsburgh and across the United States. Fans eagerly tune in to witness the Penguins’ skillful and high-scoring games, resulting in consistently strong television ratings.
Toronto Maple Leafs
The Toronto Maple Leafs, based in Canada’s largest city, boast an incredibly passionate and dedicated fan base. Despite not winning the Stanley Cup in many years, Maple Leafs fans remain devoted and consistently watch their games on television. The team’s large market and historic significance within the NHL make their games highly anticipated events, attracting a significant television audience.
The popularity of NHL teams can vary based on several factors. These include on-ice success, market size, and regional preferences, which all contribute to the teams’ television viewership. Other teams that often attract significant television audiences include the Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, and Vancouver Canucks, among others. These teams have cultivated strong followings in their respective markets and contribute to the overall viewership of NHL games.
Ways to watch top NHL live streams
- NHL.TV: The NHL’s official streaming service, NHL.TV, provides access to live and on-demand games throughout the season. With a subscription to NHL.TV, fans can watch NHL online on various devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, and streaming devices.
- Local Broadcasts: you can tune in to local television channels that have the rights to air hockey games. These channels may include regional sports networks or national broadcasters.
- Cable and Satellite TV: Subscribing to a cable or satellite TV package that includes sports channels will give you access to live NHL games. Check with your service provider for specific channel availability. Note, that there is a certain monthly fee for their services
- Streaming Services: Some streaming platforms offer sports packages that include access to NHL games. Services like NHL-Streaming often carry sports channels that broadcast NHL games, including those teams from the list. Additionally, some services also offer sports news sections that provide updates on injuries and other relevant information about the team. It’s important to check the channel lineup of each streaming service to ensure they include the necessary sports channels.
- Mobile Apps: The NHL and various broadcasters may have their own mobile apps that allow you to watch NHL games. These apps may require a subscription or a cable/satellite TV login for access.